Saturday, July 3, 2010

How to Read Lit, Ch 8-10 #2

In the 8th and 9th chapter, Foster continued his idea of how authors take ideas from other stories. I liked his Hansel & Gretal fairytale idea. I never really thought about it, but there are alot of stories (especially disney) that have a couple or person on a journey and there is an evil woman. A woman! I never noticed, and now I think of Ursela, evil Stepmothers, Daisy (Gatsby), etc. In the 9th chapter, he was discussing mythology. Alot of story lines originate from Greek and Roman myths, but I figured that before. The 10th chapter was about weather, this was also something I already know but it was still interesting because he brought in Noah & the Ark. He also said how the conditions can symobilze different things, ie: rain = sadness, restoration, creation of rainbows. Now when I read, I can think more in depth about the weather and the affect it has on the characters in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment