Saturday, November 20, 2010

Independent Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray 1

I have read the first 25 pages of this book and I think I have already found one of the themes: Vanity or being Self Centered.
The character Lord Henry is very vain and seems to demand attention. I figured this by what he says:
"there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
"Youth is the one thing worth having."
Also I think the artist, Basil, loves Dorian gray. He has this secret obsession with him. I believe that the reason he doesn't want to show anyone the portrait of Gray is because he doesn't want anyone else to see how beautiful he is. If anyone else sees his charming looks, they might fall in love with him, and Basil isn't willing to share.
Lord Henry gets in the way, although, because Gray is impressed and interested in him, but Basil isn't willing to do anything about it because he'll do anything for Dorian Gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment