I think, so far, that each character in this book represents some idea. Harry, obviously, is superficiality. Throughout the novel I have marked about 20 quotes that represent majority and all of them are either by him or influenced by him. He's the one that planted the idea that Dorian would be nothing without his youth, because youth is everything. on pg 25 he declares "Youth! Youth! There is absolutely nothing in the world but youth!"
Then I think Dorian symbolizes corruption. He becomes so obsessed with his beauty that he basically sells his soul for eternal youth. After he makes that wish to forever look young, he loses all his friends and his name is tarnished in his town. I feel as if Dorian is just a puppet throughout the story.
Basil seems to be the only pure one in the novel. He isn't bias and is able to look at things from an outside view, like the problem with Dorian. Although I think he really loved Dorian, but was afraid to admit it, so could be flawed in the fact that he's scared to be open and he was also easily controlled by Dorian.
Sibyl, I'm not sure about. I want to say she's fake because she would always call Dorian "Prince Charming." But then, she always chose love over money, but she was also very young and sometimes ignorant of the real world. She is stuck in this "Happily Ever After" world.
No comments:
Post a Comment